Weekly Prayers for the Church Street Family
Week of June 28, 2023
Rev. Andy Ferguson
This prayer was given by Rev. Andy Ferguson on Sunday, June 25 during the Sunday School hour in the Open Door class.
A Prayer for Holy Wonder
God of Creation’s first morning,
God of our children’s first prayer.
We confess that we hardly dare to believe in the holy any longer.
The world counts value in dollars – even though a dollar doesn’t buy much
— even at the Dollar General Store.
Existence is measured in tons of concrete required,
while heart and commitment go unnoticed.
Too often, the solemn ceremonies by which we marry our sweethearts
or bury our dead or baptize our babies,
Seem more like pretty distractions, counting for little.
Instead of a binding commitment made before the God of the Universe.
And doubting your holiness, we doubt our humanness, our realness,
even our eternal worth.
Rise up, O God, stir across the land once again.
Call the thunder to announce your coming!
Silence the proud claims of kings and presidents by your voice,
Send prophets to declare, “Thus saith the Lord…”
Send a friend to inquire, “How it is with your soul?”
Let your holiness, O God, be seen — that we may believe once more.
Cure our chosen blindness to your movement.
Silence us by your certain coming.
Scare us to death that we may catch a glimpse of what it is to live.
Then, we will live our days with a sense of expectation.
We will bear witness to all that we have seen.
We will live confident that with you, “All things are possible.”
We will exult in your certain presence like children dancing in a summer rain shower.
Let us see once more, O God of heaven and earth,
You — bending near to hear the prayers of children,
You — waiting patiently for us to turn and realize…
You – going before us in the march to a better world.
Let us see you,
–as clearly as Moses saw the burning bush on the mountain,
–And Isaiah saw the vision of heaven.
–As clearly as the disciples saw the face of Jesus.
It is in the Holy Name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
We pray for ….
- A brother who entered hospice care this week; prayers for his sister
- A daughter grieving her father’s unexpected death; but celebrating the blessings of last visit and release from physical infirmities
- A granddaughter who is grieving the death of her grandfather – just one year after the death of her grandmother. Grateful for precious memories and the love of family!
- A church member who had surgery to remove mass on brain this afternoon; praying that biopsies will give clear direction of next steps for healing.
- A wife who asks for prayers for her marriage;
- A couple going through process of IVF; prayers for success! Prayers for all who are wanting children but struggling.
- A husband having MRI and surgery this week
- A wife, mother, daughter, grandmother who is going through chemotherapy. May she feel all the love around her.
- A church member in hospital; prayers that doctors can determine the cause of seizures.
- A church member in hospital waiting on diagnostic results; prayers that her white blood count improves.
- A daughter having breast surgery
- All the members who are carrying burdens
- Those who are continuing to grieve; Lord be with them as grief changes how it reveals itself. Give them peace.
We give thanks for …
- A couple married in our nave this past weekend; blessings on their marriage.
- All the children and helpers at VBS this week!
- Successful surgeries and prayers for healing for family members
- Limited side effects from chemo for a son; continued prayers for healing as third round begins
- Operation Backyard who rebuilt my deck
- For friends, family, and a place to live
- For an understanding boss at work
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.