BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Prayers for the Church Street Family
November 9, 2020
This is my commandment,
that you love one another as I have loved you.
Great Teacher, you ask of us a hard thing. Our experiences are limited, for many of us have never lived in foreign cultures nor have we been deeply exposed to the personal or collective histories that have shaped the mindsets of those who live on other shores. Our perspectives are as diverse as our understandings of your sacred goodness; and yet you command us to love each and all. And as you know, we even find it hard to live in love with our own kin, with those who bear our own resemblance and share our common history.
Ah, but then how far-reaching is your wisdom; for you are aware that when we concentrate on understanding the lives of others, when we focus on building our regard for the other, we will have far less time to dwell on our own petty concerns. You are the Bridge-Builder, and if we too are to become wise, we will join in your labor, putting into place one small plank after another. Then you shall fasten them all together into your holy design and we shall all move freely across that platform of trust that stretches across the world.
All Renewing One, in this disquieting era of racial, cultural, and economic brokenness, we pray that your selfless love might bear fruit in our nation. We pray that you would implant your holy wisdom in the minds and hearts of both new and returning national officials just elected. Burn away our disrespect and disregard for the most vulnerable among us; melt the mistrust and misunderstanding that erodes the spirit. Renew the soul of our nation, and anchor our faith in you, that we might find a way for all to live out the life of freedom you plan for all.
Holy Comforter, we lift up all who face illness and adversity this day. Comfort those who are afraid; and give strength to those who love and care for them. May your holy peace wash over them, reminding them they are neither alone nor forgotten. Hear also these prayers that come from the hearts of your people at Church Street:
- Thanksgiving for prayers: Family in North Carolina all recovered from virus
- Gratitude: Family returned safely from Florida with promising news
- Gratitude for two successful orthopedic surgeries on Friday
- Family celebrates a granddaughter’s improved health
- Continued thanks for healthcare workers and educators at all levels
- Please pray for a lenient court ruling today for faithful member
- Prayers for faithful Christian physician having heart surgery today, that he may recover to remain a shining witness to others
- Dear friend in Martin, Tennessee, hospitalized with Covid-19 complications
- Relief for those suffering from economic setbacks due to virus
- Healing for teenage daughter, peace for her loving parents
- Relief from postpartum depression and young mother’s anxiety
- Faithful member having lung biopsy today, wisdom for medical team
- Safety and peace for elderly mother in hospice care, peace for her family
- Healing: young grandson with autism; a father’s depression
- Continued prayers, nephew in Missouri, seriously ill with Covid-19
- Prayers for friend with metastatic cancer, comfort for family
Spirit of Heavenly Hope, as you promised you would never leave us, may your brightest hope and love take root in our hearts, so that even during the dimmest days we will feel your empowering spirit stirring within. In the name of Christ we make our prayer:
Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever. Amen.