BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Daily Prayers of the Church Street family
August 4, 2020
O Jesus, I have promised to serve thee to the end;
Be thou forever near me, my Master and my Friend.
I shall not fear the battle if thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway, if thou wilt be my guide.
We gather this day, praying with all our church family, most of whom have sung this hymn throughout their lives. And still these simple phrases remain as meaningful today as when they were penned over one hundred years ago. Oh Christ, we do ask for your presence with us and we ask for your direction, particularly in this time of unrest. We lift up our young people as they embark upon another school term just beginning. In whatever venue, whether in virtual studies or gathered personally in classrooms, we pray that each young one might know you as a ready protector. Give them the confidence to handle whatever challenges are presented. And watch over all educators that they might exhibit wisdom, patience, and grace as they perform their duties. We also lift up all parents and guardians, those who are anxious about the coming weeks. Remind us that this difficult period of contagion will end, so strengthen all to endure with faith and hope.
O let me feel thee near me! The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle, the tempting sounds I hear.
My foes are ever near me, around me and within;
But Jesus, draw thou nearer and shield my soul from sin.
O Promised Shield, indeed there are many things that scramble for our attention these days. The incessant buzzing of newscasters is often more distracting than informative, and the reports stressed most prominently are bleak. There is the temptation for us to take the surface reports as truth, without taking the time to investigate for ourselves. Forgive us for allowing alarming broadcasts to color our attitudes, for allowing them to take the rainbows out of our skies. Yes, there is much cause for worry, but doesn’t hope also have a story of its own to tell? Shield us from giving in to despondency, when all around there are signs of your goodness.
O let me hear thee speaking in accents clear and still
Above the storms of passion, the murmurs of self-will.
O speak to reassure me, to hasten and control;
O speak and make me listen, thou guardian of my soul.
We are pilgrims on our journey with you, O Guardian of our Souls. There are many amusements and diversions along the highway, and we confess that we often become engrossed in pursuits that are not in our best interests. Prod us when we dawdle on the side road, when we become lazy and inattentive. Coach us in how to listen to your voice alone, and ground us in your school of service, for we have vowed to follow obediently, to pray for each of our sojourners, and to help lift up all who are in danger of falling.
We have laid out our faults upon your blanket of mercy, knowing that you will favor us in your charity, O Merciful One; yet we also remember and recount the numerous benefits you are bringing about in our lives . . . . . . . . . . . . Hear also these celebrations from members of our Church Street family, as well as their prayers for your divine assistance:
- Gratitude: member recovering well from hip surgery
- Thanksgiving: a grandson is healing
- Prayers appreciated: sister-in-law fully recovered from virus
- Thankful that daughter has recovered from virus, now healthy
- Celebrating a husband’s healing from pneumonia (in Ohio)
- Healing prayers for 3 women being treated for cancer
- Calm for a member having heart cath today, for promising results
- Parents carrying a heavy burden & healing of wife’s injured shoulder
- Healing for dear friend with diabetes, asthma & Covid-19
- Young mother with Covid-19, protection for her husband & son
- Dear friend fighting cancer & family awaiting virus test results
- Prayers for brother-in-law, malignant growth on esophagus
- Job openings for members who have lost jobs due to virus
- A way forward for adult son who is divorcing
- For healing & protection: a father hospitalized with pneumonia
- Prayers for researchers who seek an effective virus vaccine
- Healing – Friend in TX with virus, safety for his caregiver sister
- Courage & rest for daughter caring for her mother in hospice
For you are always listening, in spite of all my fear,
You always walk beside me, my comforter so near.
And Jesus I have promised to serve thee to the end,
O give me grace to follow my Master and my Friend.
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
Have a prayer request?
Submit your request confidentially online, and our prayer team will be in prayer with and for you.