Weekly Prayers for the Church Street Family
Week of August 24, 2022
Rev. Tim Best
We give you great thanks for the gift of rest and renewal in your Son Jesus. Guide our lives that we might find patterns of liberation and renewal from all those forces that when not controlled and bounded by your love bind and control us. Grant us your peace that our spirits might be cured of what ails us and we might stand tall with dignity and love.
Heal me, hands of Jesus!
Heal and comfort those who suffer in body and spirit. We pray for those who grieve. May you walk alongside them and help them to find rest in the promise of resurrection. We ask for healing for all recovering from injury or operations. May they have access to good Doctors, caring and qualified nurses, and attentive caregivers. Awaken our hearts that where there is need your church may be at work to care, advocate, and support. Bless all the suffering neighbors and friends that we name before you in our hearts.
Heal me, hands of Jesus!
You fashioned all things out of nothing. Let us rejoice in the gifts of your creation and show care for all life that dwells upon the earth, that swims in the seas, that lives under the earth, or fills the skies. As you give us Sabbath that we might know freedom from our labors and our cares, may we grant rest to the earth and all creatures from toil and use. Help us to rejoice in the beauty of all that you have made and to use all resources well and to your glory.
Heal our earth, O Lord!
Ruler of all things,
We pray for our community, our state, and our nation. Grant your wisdom and compassion to those who make decisions on behalf of others and for the sake of whole communities. We pray for Mayors Kincannon and Jacobs. We pray for governor Lee and all state legislators. We pray for all senators and members of the house of representatives. We pray for President Biden. We pray for the leaders of all the nations, those we consider friends and those we think of as enemies. Guide your church in our work to be peace within our community and within the world.
Heal our communities, O Lord!
Lord in your mercy… God of mercy and healing, you who hear the cries of those in need, receive these petitions of your people that all who are troubled may know peace, comfort, and courage.
We pray for …
- Young adults who are seeking meaningful employment
- A son who desires a job in his chosen field; may he not become discouraged with rejections and roadblocks
- A sister who has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in breasts, bones and possibly liver; prayer for comfort and for healing
- A member’s sister-in-law recently diagnosed with bone marrow cancer; also battling pneumonia.
- A friend with ALS; may she experience the comfort of God’s love and love of friends who care
- A member grieving the death of his sister-in-law; praying the entire family feels God’s strength and comfort.
- A family whose newborn died; we pray for all who loved him and all who cared for him in NICU.
- Loved ones struggling after the suicide of a son; for the complicated grief that follows
- For children facing surgery
- For patience and understanding when we struggle with “why?” May we know God’s desire for us in how to be present in horrific and devastating situations.
We give thanks for …
- A son who has gotten a job in the field he studied for! So grateful for his happiness.
- The rejuvenation experienced after time away with colleagues
- Safe travels
- Friends who offer comfort and strength
- Pastor Jan Buxton Wade and all she means to our church family. Prayers for good health and joy as she and Dwight spend more time with family now.
Life-giving God, heal our lives, that we may acknowledge your wonderful deeds and offer you thanks from generation to generation through Jesus Christ our Lord as we pray that prayer he taught us, praying…
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.