BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Prayers for the Church Street Family
September 16, 2020
Rev. Dr. Jan Buxton Wade
These things I have spoken to you so that my joy may be
full in you, and that your joy may be made full.
Wellspring of Joy, sometimes pure joy wells up within us when we least expect it. We did not plan on its appearance, nor could we manufacture it. The bright face of a child, the sunset that lingers in our minds even when night has drawn its dark curtain, the hand held out in friendship when we did not even realize it was what we most needed – such are the treasures that make life worth the living. Your joy, O Lord, often glides over us, as some exotic bird, sweeping through our days that we have rendered humdrum. What a Rare One you are, winging your way among us, dusting us with feathered delight.
Lord of Love, hear our prayer.
God of Great Forbearance, by your gentle touch, we are mindful of our failures, but know that our mistakes do not have the last word. You still count on us, flawed as we are, to be at work for the good of your kingdom. As a church community bound together by your mercy, grant us individually and corporately, the power to speak and live in ways that reflect the fullness of Christ’s love and joy. As our hearts are restless until we find our peace in you, so is your own heart restless until all your children of every race and tribe are gathered in, safe under your wide wings.
Lord of Love, hear our prayer.
Our spirits rise heavenward when we remember your abiding care for us. And as you are that Constant Friend, we humbly relay our thankfulness for the mercies you have granted us in recent times. Receive them in your grace, and also these concerns from the hearts of your friends at Church Street:
- Grateful for prayers: mother with dementia now settled in assisted living
- Thankful for two who have recovered from the virus
- Celebrating a member’s promising news following cancer treatment
- Wisdom for leaders making decisions concerning in-person worship
- Daughters & families in WA, a son & family in CA – need improvement of air quality – raging fires are making breathing a struggle
- For wisdom for our nation’s leaders, for order to be restored
- Close friend hospitalized, healing from gunshot wound
- NICU baby, prayers that his heart may begin to function properly
- A cousin undergoing heart surgery, for successful result
- Prayers for all with medical concerns & those awaiting test results
- Lifting of depression for one living alone, longs for understanding
- Dear friend grieving the death of a father; she was his sole caregiver
- Friend having rectal surgery this week, for success & for healing
- Guidance for school personnel, children, youth, & anxious parents
- Mother near death, comfort for family members waiting nearby
- Sister with a major leg infection, for healing;
- Family of 9 in virus quarantine; comfort for all who grieve
Yes, there are wars and rumors of wars; yes, there is rampant corruption and crime; yes, there are many with vile and vicious hearts. But we are a kingdom people, people of the resurrection. We trust, despite the calamities and injustices of this world, that there will come a time when goodness renders evil but a thin and feeble vapor. At such a time, all our joy will be complete; and our voices shall be lifted skyward in praise of our Redeemer, who taught us to pray:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.