BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Daily Prayers of the Church Street family
July 27, 2020
The lily blooming where none was planted; a cardinal returning to your windowsill day after day; the contours of a cloud that resemble a face you once knew and loved – all are as postcards from another world. Jesus said “I am going to prepare a place for you, that where I am you may be also.” We ask you for signs of that world, O Holy One, but you are already sprinkling them around us. Your love is beyond our comprehension, extending the boundaries of our minds. We are humbled that from that dwelling place galaxies away, you remember us with precious hints of your love. Indeed, you are our Way, our Truth, and our Life.
O Trusted Mystery, hear our prayer.
Yes, there is that home where, through your grace, we will one day be invited to join you at your table. Meanwhile, we remain in this perplexing here and now. And we often question how our meager deeds of mercy are having an impact. Our nation seems to be devouring itself; brutality and bloodshed make a mockery of the scales of justice. How did ruthlessness gain such power in our own beautiful and beloved cities? Will there ever come a time when your will is done here on earth as it is in heaven? Come, Lord Jesus, come, and bring that age where the leopard lies in concord with the lamb, where the lion and the calf rest side by side, where childlike confidence beats in every heart.
O Trusted Mystery, hear our prayer.
All-Knowing One, give to us that faith that turns to you even in the darkest hours, that faith that praises you in spite of our weakness, that faith that does not require visible evidence. And keep watch, we pray, over all who wait in hope, over those who wait in fear, and over those who feel they are invisible to the rest of humanity. Receive their prayers and also these petitions and thanksgivings from your people at Church Street:
- Gratitude for prayers: son out of quarantine, reunited with family
- Thank you for praying: 2 friends with Covid-19 are vastly improved
- Thanksgiving: Isolated young woman ill with Covid now recovered
- Family rejoices that virus tests were negative
- Prayers for a couple making decisions about selling their farm
- Support for two awaiting medical diagnoses
- Recovery for those who suffer from depression
- Prayers for two friends recovering from accidents at home
- Healing for a grieving husband, for a vision of newness
- Strength & courage for a wife recently admitted to healthcare facility
- Continued prayers for one recovering from kidney surgery
- Restoration for one with continued heart difficulties
- All who mourn great personal losses
- Prayers for 3 members studying for the bar exam
- Continued strength for a son helping his mother in hospice care
- Healing for our nation, for wisdom in fashioning a new beginning
- Grace & courage for two undergoing new chemo treatments
Yes, Lord, we ask for many things, and we know that in your love you will give us, not necessarily what we want, but what we most need. Hold our church family tenderly in your hands in the days to come, we pray, for we are fragile beings who cling to the strong promises of Jesus, who taught us this prayer:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
Have a prayer request?
Submit your request confidentially online, and our prayer team will be in prayer with and for you.
Join us for a midday devotion
Join us on our Facebook page at noon today as Youth department intern Marcy Sullivan leads us in a short devotion about the importance of listening to one another.