BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Daily Prayers of the Church Street family
July 22, 2020
O Voice of Calm, we recall how Jesus commanded the waves to be still when the boat was rocked by the tumult. Fear flooded the hearts of his shipmates who felt the anger of the sea and the sting of the pelting rain. We confess that we have often revisited that story and wondered why the disciples were so terrified when their Master was there beside them. And now here today, we find ourselves in a dark-clouded tempest just as vile. Our heads are full of questions, our ears take in the anxious chatter of newscasters who are just as lost as we are, and our bodies are rigid, poised for the next lightning bolt. Rise up again, O Christ, and boldly speak your word of calm. And give us grace to listen to your word; for truly, your peace is not of this world, but it is the only peace that will see us through.
Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.
Forgive us, O Holy One, when our faith becomes shaky. But the truth is, throughout this pandemic, we have watched many of our plans and dreams disappear into the depths. Still, we know in our bones that you are a God of the Resurrection and that there is a hidden newness in our loss. So let us not count our losses, but instead enumerate the ways in which you have brought healing from pain, trust from defeat, and life from death. We count on you, O God, to steady the boat and lead us to a safe harbor. Strengthen our faith so we never let despair have the last word.
Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.
Quiet the noise inside us in these moments, we pray, as you infuse each heart with your holy stillness . . . And gently deal with each of these persons and situations mentioned by your children of Church Street:
- Member rejoices that a door has opened in a fractured relationship
- Family is celebrating a son’s recent engagement
- Members thankful for a lake vacation with entire family
- Our graduating high school seniors who are filled with faith, hope, and promise
- Gratitude for the life of a friend and mentor who died peacefully at home
- Continued prayers for husband recovering from kidney surgery
- Member having hip replacement today, for no complications
- Family mourning the death of a young father, for comfort and grace
- Healing for a beloved daughter undergoing extensive cancer surgery today
- Close friend facing 6 weeks of harsh chemo treatment
- Son with virus symptoms; protection for his wife and 2 small children
- Please pray for a family of 4, healing from Covid-19
- Husband undergoing carpal tunnel surgery today; father in hospice care
- Prayers for educators, parents and students as school decisions are made
- Insight for researchers, that a virus breakthrough comes soon
- Prayers that a member is selected for a chemo trial on Thursday
- Prayers for calm and successful pacemaker procedure on Thursday
- Premature baby in NICU, heart condition and anxious parents
Thank you, O Ruler of the Seas, for your readiness to accept us as we are. And even when we feel we are being swallowed by the waves, your hand of serenity does not fail. Oh, how true the maxim: “Our hearts are restless until we find our rest in you:”
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
Have a prayer request?
Submit your request confidentially online, and our prayer team will be in prayer with and for you.