BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Prayers for the Church Street Family
February 9, 2021
Rev. Dr. Jan Buxton Wade
Your evening sky, Creator of Rest, becomes the color of silt and we anticipate the silent grandeur with which you close each of our days. As we gaze at your soft glory, let us enter the closet of prayer and commune with you in that place of quiet where words are unnecessary . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
There is the beautiful aspect of widening darkness makes all things appear equal: There is no one more lofty or wise than the other, both mansion and hut are sheathed in raven, overgrown fields appear as lovely as manicured lawns, all skin tones blend into the color of earth. Only in the shadowed hours do we let down our guard long enough to see with the leveling eyes of God.
With morning’s light, however, inequities again will starkly reveal themselves; so give us new energy to take up the cause of the disordered, the poor, the hungry and misunderstood, the ill and the disenfranchised. Give us the will to respect all of your blessed creation, tending it with the love of the Father.
O One Who Beckons, thank you for calling us to be part of your labor for justice and mercy. We join our hands with all believers everywhere who know you as the Source of all Goodness and who pray without ceasing for your will to be made manifest in all our lives. Receive now both the praises and the struggles lifted from the Church Street family:
- Homebound members thankful for church contacts
- Young couple celebrate the birth of a new daughter
- Praises for all who are helping with virus vaccinations
- Gratitude: Souper Bowl donations for the hungry exceeded expectations
- Thanksgiving for end of lengthy recovery from back surgery
- Prayers for a good job opening in the city
- Upholding a family saddened by new challenges
- Courage for one with newly diagnosed cancer
- Close friend given only six months of life
- Upholding member in cancer treatment
- Comfort for daughter and family in the death of father
- Healing: Husband in deep depression
- Strength for family coping with son’s grave emotional problems
- Pray for mother recovering from brain bleed
- Friend suffering physically and emotionally
- All who are grappling with grief
- Continued healing for heart patient
O One Who Dreams With Us, may we take in your bracing night air as we rest upon your cool sheets of peace. Refresh us with sleep tonight for the work that tomorrow holds. Shelter all whom we cherish, we pray, and all your beloved who long for the nearness of Christ:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.