Stephen Ministry at Church Street
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide one-to-one Christian care to people in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry. The identity of those receiving care and everything they discuss with a Stephen Minister remain private.
A Stephen Minister is…
- A child of God who walks beside someone who is hurting.
- A congregation member who is carefully selected to serve in this role because of his or her caregiving gifts.
- A lay person with 50 hours of training in providing high-quality distinctively Christian care.
- A caring Christen friend who listens, cares, prays, supports and encourages.
- Someone who meets faithfully each week with his or her care receiver as long as there is a need.
“Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2
Stephen Ministers Care for People Facing Tough Times
We all experience challenges in life – times when we may benefit from care & support. Stephen Ministers provide emotional and spiritual care when faced with a crisis or difficulty including, but not limited to:
- Loss of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual crisis
- Unemployment or job crisis
- Terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage or infertility
- A chronic illness
- Recovery after an accident or disaster
Stephen Ministry is Your Ministry
You play an important role in your Stephen Ministry. Here’s what you can do –
- Pray for God to bring hope and healing to hurting people through our Stephen Ministry.
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need. God doesn’t expect you to bear your burdens alone.
- Tell a neighbor, coworker, or relative who’s hurting about our Stephen Ministry.
- If you are a compassionate person and a good listener, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister. (See training schedule on this page)
Contact Information for Stephen Ministry
Rev. Patricia A. Clendenen, Stephen Ministry Pastor
Church Street United Methodist Church
Email: pclendenen AT churchstreetumc DOT org
- If you could benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister…
- If you know of someone who could benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister…
- If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Stephen Minister…
- If you have any other questions about Stephen Ministry.